For students who have already received financial aid from Rice in the past, we hope to evaluate your eligibility through an easy, efficient process by requesting minimal documentation. Be sure to frequently check your ESTHER and email accounts in case additional items are requested.
Submission Priority Date: February 1
Notice of Awards: June
All other submissions will be notified on a rolling basis.
- School Code: 6609
- Available Oct. 1, 2019
- Complete using 2018 income and tax information and current asset information.
- Custodial and non-custodial parent will each need to complete their respective profile for the student to be awarded aid.
ESTHER – Document Upload
- Parent(s) and student must upload a copy of the 2018 W2 and 1099 Forms for all income earned from work. Small business owners may submit their 2018 Schedule C or E in lieu of W2 forms.
- Student non-tax filer’s must submit a Non-Filer Statement Form.
- Parent non-tax filer’s must submit a Non-Filer Statement Form and an IRS Non-Filer Letter dated after Oct. 1, 2019, using Form 4506-T.
- Review ESTHER for additional requirements requested to be uploaded.
IRS Data Retrieval
- All students applying for 2020–2021 are required to use the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool which should be available beginning October 2019.
- If you are unable to use the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool, then you are required to submit a tax return transcript from the IRS. Once you have received your tax return transcript, submit it to our office via fax at 713-348-2139 with the student's name and Rice ID number on all documents.
- If you did not file a tax return, submit the CollegeBoard’s Non-Tax Filer Statement to our office. If your FAFSA is selected for verification by the Department of Education, then you will need to complete a 4506-T requesting a non-tax filer letter.