Supervisor Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Supervisor Resources FAQs

Federal Work Study and Rice Work employment is coordinated through the Office of Financial Aid. The following FAQs may be of help if you are considering hiring student workers.

How do I post a job and view applicant profiles?

Supervisors are strongly encouraged to use the Handshake Job Board to post student jobs and view applicant profiles. as of Jan. 1, 2020, the Rice Job Board will no longer be available. To use the Handshake Job Board, please visit Handshake Job Board.

To use the Rice Job Board, please visit the Rice Job Board. Click on “Supervisors” on the left side of the page, and follow the instructions.

Supervisors may advertise jobs through traditional ways including word of mouth, bulletin boards or campus listserves.

How do I determine our student workers rate of pay?

For student employment pay ranges, visit Student Employment Pay Ranges. The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, record keeping and child labor standards affecting full and part time workers in the private sector and in federal, state and local governments.

  • All student workers MUST be paid at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
  • Wage rates should be based on the student’s skill level and work performed.
    • If a student’s skill level depends on his or her academic advancement, you may pay a student on that basis.
      • For example, a junior or third-year lab student may be paid a higher rate than a sophomore or second-year lab student.
  • In most cases, students should be paid a comparable wage to non-student employees performing comparable work.
  • It is not acceptable to base the wage rate on financial need, federal work-study award amount or on any other factor not related to the student’s skills or job description.
  • Student workers may be offered a pay increase or a raise based on exceptional performance, seniority or any other lawful reason as determined by the supervisor.

How do I hire a student?

Registered supervisors may view and hire applicants for posted positions. Departments submit the Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF) though ESTHER. Students will be able to access their electronic timesheets immediately after the hiring form completes the EPAF routing queue (unless the job effective date is in the future).

NOTE: Students should only start employment after the hiring department submits the Student Job Assignment EPAF to the routing queue. This will ensure I-9 compliance and reduce the risk for fines.

NOTE: Students should self-report to you that they are recipients of Federal Work Study. Please ask the student to show you the printed financial aid award page from ESTHER that verifies the Federal Work Study award. Rice does not award any FWS during the summer semester.

What forms do I need to fill out?

The Rice Job Board allows you to post your job positions and view applicants; however, you must complete and send the following forms to the Office of Financial Aid to complete the hiring process.

Take great care when hiring International Students. F-1 and J-1 students can jeopardize their authorization to attend school in the United States if they work even one day without proper authorization. Please refer to the Employment Resources webpage of the Office of International Students and Scholars for additional information.

How does Federal Work Study work?

Federal Work Study is a part-time employment program for students who have demonstrated financial need according to eligibility criteria set forth by the federal government. Students are limited to earning the dollar amount shown on their award letter.

Through Federal Work Study, 75% of the students' wages are paid with a federal grant and 25% are paid by the department that employs them. The Office of Financial Aid pays any fringe.

  • Work-study awards are awarded to students, not departments, based on financial eligibility. Each year, Rice University receives a fixed amount of work-study funds for its students.
  • 75% of the students’ wages are paid for with a federal grant, and 25% are paid by the department that employs them. The Office of Financial Aid pays any fringe.
  • Work-study awards are need-based awards. If a student has no unmet financial need (as defined by Rice), the student will not qualify for a work-study award. Students must have a work-study award offer from the Office of Financial Aid in order to be employed using work-study funds.
  • There is a limit to the amount of work-study funds students can earn. This amount is listed on their financial aid award letters.
  • The Electronic Student Personnel Action Form (EPAF) also indicates a student’s total award offer. If the student has been previously employed during the same academic year, the student will have less funding available. When hiring students, please inquire about their prior or current work history at Rice during that academic year.
  • The Office of Financial Aid will receive a monthly update from the accounting office listing the amount of work-study funds earned by students. If the report shows that a student has less than $300 in work-study eligibility left, our office will notify the sponsoring department.
  • If a student earns more than his or her work-study award, the sponsoring department will be charged the overage.
  • Work-study award offers are cancelled by Nov. 1 if students have not become employed. If a student wishes to seek employment after Nov. 1 and a department desires to pay him or her using work-study funds, the student should contact the Office of Financial to discuss whether funds are still available.

What is the Rice Work Program and how does it work?

The Rice Work Program is an institutional employment program sponsored by various departments to provide on-campus employment opportunities to Rice students. Students need not be financial aid recipients to be employed through this program.

In order to be eligible for employment through the Rice Work Program during the fall and spring terms, students must be enrolled at least half time in for-credit courses at Rice University. (Half time is defined as six credit hours for undergraduates and five hours for graduate students.)

During the summer, students must meet one of the following criteria to qualify for employment:

  • Be a current student who is registered for the upcoming fall term.
  • Be an entering student in the upcoming fall term who has accepted an offer of admission in writing.
  • Be a student who is enrolled in for-credit coursework at Rice during the June/July summer session.

To hire a student, the sponsoring department should ask the student to complete a Student Personnel Action Form and submit the form to the Office of Financial Aid for initial processing. PA forms are available to students online through ESTHER. Students who have difficulty logging into ESTHER should contact the Office of the Registrar.

The payroll office may request additional employment forms from a student. All students in the Rice Work Program are subject to federal employment rules and regulations. Furthermore, students employed through Rice Work are not eligible for benefits. For questions related to the payroll process, including time sheet deadlines and pay dates, please contact the Payroll Office.

Can I hire students to work during the summer?

Students may work through Rice Work during the summer. During the summer, students must be registered for the upcoming fall term, OR be an entering student who has accepted an offer of admission for the upcoming fall term OR be enrolled in credit coursework at Rice during the June/July summer session.

What about department prizes and end-of-year awards?

The Office of Financial Aid must process any student awards and prizes through our office. All scholarships, awards and prizes will be applied toward students’ accounts. In order to provide a student with a prize or end-of-year award during graduation or an award ceremony, please provide our office with individual check requests including the student’s name and ID number and allow a maximum of 10 days for processing. Once we process the request, we will forward it to the cashier’s office, which will generate the check. In the event that a student is not actively registered during that term, the Office of Financial Aid will approve the check request to be processed by Payment Solutions. For more information, please see the webpages of the controller’s office.

May International Students apply for my jobs?

F-1 or J-1 students may work on campus, but they must obtain the appropriate work authorization before starting to work. If a student works even one day before or after the authorization, he or she must leave the U.S. or face deportation. For more information, please see the web pages of the Office of International Students and Scholars. The Office of Financial Aid does not advise supervisors on this topic. Please contact the OISS at 713-348-6095.

Contact Us

Office of Financial Aid
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77251-1892
713-348-4958 office
713-348-2139 fax