Supervisor Resources

Working is not a requirement for students; it is simply a good way to gain practical work experience and help cover educational or personal expenses. Through hiring and supervising student employees, you are helping them by providing the following:

  • Students work in an environment suited to the student’s skills, preferences and possible career goals.
  • The work schedule arranged by the student and employer works around the student’s class schedule. The student will not be asked to work during class periods and employers are flexible in allowing time off for studying for exams.
  • Professional experience and contacts are developed. These can be valuable when beginning a career or applying to graduate school.

Students may be eligible for part time employment at Rice through Federal Work Study or Rice Work. To be eligible, undergraduate and graduate students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours and five credit hours, respectively at Rice University as well as meet other program specific requirements.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study is a part-time employment program for students who have demonstrated financial need according to eligibility criteria set forth by the federal government. Students are limited to earning the dollar amount shown on their award letter.

Through Federal Work Study, 75% of the students’ wages are paid with a federal grant and 25% are paid by the department that employs them. The Office of Financial Aid pays any fringe. For additional information, click here.

  • 75% R1B120 213000 60810 OSP2
  • 25% Department Budget

Rice Work

Rice Work is an institutional student employment program sponsored by various academic and administrative departments. Rice Work does not require a student to demonstrate financial need or to complete the financial aid process. For additional information, click here.

International Students

F-1 or J-1 students may work on campus, but they must obtain the appropriate work authorization before starting to work. If a student works even one day before or after the authorization, he or she must leave the U.S. or face deportation. For more information, please see the Office of International Students and Scholars webpage. The Office of Financial Aid does not advise supervisors on this topic. Please contact the OISS at 713-348-6095.

Hiring a Student

Students may use the Handshake Job Board to view and apply for jobs whether the jobs are funded through Rice Work or Federal Work Study (FWS). Registered supervisors may view and hire applicants for posted positions.

The hiring department completes an Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF) through ESTHER in order to initiate a new hire or rehire. Paper SPAFs are no longer available.

Students being hired for the first time must also submit a completed Form I-9 and Form W-4. Students may not access an EPAF, begin work, nor be paid until the Form I-9 is completed. For more details on what is required to complete the I-9 Form, please click here or visit I-9 Central.

Caution: Students should self-report to you that they are recipients of Federal Work Study. Please ask the student to show you the printed financial aid award page from ESTHER that verifies the Federal Work Study award. Rice does not award any FWS during the summer semester.

Important Links

Useful links to forms, procedures and other FAQs are listed below. If your question is not answered below, please feel free to use the contact list available here.

In addition, consider attending the annual Student Employment Workshop. Additional information about this year's workshop is available by clicking here.






M-Th 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. CT